Blocked Drain? Get in touch with the Drainage Specialists
Problems with any Private drain issue and need a FREE assessment or just a chat? Contact us 0800 3101092.
Drains become blocked due to everyday use, this can cause a massive headache to home owners. Normally the blockage can be cleared using a high pressured water system called a jetta. If the blockage is caused by root ingress or cracked pipes then the drain may need re-lining. This is all second nature to us, get in contact and we can help.
Private Versus Public Drains, who is responsible?
As a rule of thumb, you are normally usually responsible for drains inside the boundaries of your property. With your sewerage company responsible for lateral drains, which are outside of property boundaries, and sewers. Although most sewers are now publicly owned, there are still some private sewers, normally on mobile home sites, etc. If your property is served by one of these, you may be responsible for maintaining it as well as the drainage within.
What does this mean? If you have a blocked drain and the cause is within the boundary of your property then you a responsible for paying for it to be repaired. Please see the citizen’s advice bureau site for more advice.
Many households have any serious issues covered by your home insurance. We are happy and experienced in dealing with insurance companies.
CCTV Drain Survey
Generally, when we are called out to assist with a blocked drain, we clear the blockage immediately. This can normally be achieved with rods or by using a high-pressure water jet (Jetta). Once the blockage is cleared we generally recommend you have a CCTV drain survey completed. This is to see if there is an issue within the drain that is causing it to become blocked.
A CCTV survey uses a mobile camera on the end of a fibre optic cable to map out and examine the underground workings of your drainage system. Normally any issues are easily identifiable and we can show you these as we go. We can also provide a detailed report of the findings with evidence to provide to your insurance company.
What are the causes of a blocked drain?
We classify the cause of a blocked drain into two categories soft and hard. A soft blockage is caused by a foreign object and once cleared the drain works fine. A hard blockage is caused a structural issue with the drain which means it will block again quickly once unblocked.
Top 5 causes of a blocked drain (soft)
- Baby wipes and wet wipes, as well as being an environmental scourge, these things are not flushable. Many products say they are, 95% are not. Listen to Radio 4’s march of the wet wipes!
- Tampons. Ladies put these in a bin your drain does not like them!
- Grease and Fat: When used in cooking grease and fat is a liquid. However, when it cools it becomes a solid. Unfortunately, this change normally occurs underground in your drain. Try to put as much of it in the bin as possible.
- Soap and Washing powder: When dissolved in water detergents are not problematic. It is when the water slows and settles that a build up occurs. The build-up can become super thick and strong and impenetrable to water. Try to use as little detergent as possible.
- Foreign Objects Miscellaneous: We have literally seen it all. footballs, dead rats, condoms, shoes you name it!
Top 3 causes of hard blockages in your outside drains.
- Root Ingress: Trees and shrubs have root systems these expand as the plant grows. Unfortunately, sometimes your drain is in the way and it becomes broken and clogged with roots.
- Collapse: Drains are a hollow cavity beneath the ground supporting the mass of earth above. Every drain will have a limit to the amount of weight it can support and how long it can hold sustained pressure. Too much pressure and the drain collapses.
- Subsidence: The earth is a living moving thing. Your drain is not. Although drains are designed to have a little flex too much and the pipe will crack or become unaligned.
All of these issues are repairable, get in contact and we will get them sorted quickly.
About us and our New Forest Philosophy
Homeseptic is based in the New Forest in between the cities of Southampton, Salisbury and Bournemouth. The firm was set up by a group of friends who grew up together in the area and grew tired of the way other Drainage firms are run. As such we want to actually put the customer first and turn up to do a good job we can be proud of. Unfortunately, this is not the case in the market, with most companies pressuring their workers to sell unnecessary works on a visit.
We are honest hard working professionals, which we hope you will agree with. We will not turn up in flash sales vehicles and give you a load of chat and then do a terrible job. Our focus is the job and to give you the best value we can in order to facilitate a quality installation.
We cover all of Hampshire, West Sussex, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire. Please get in touch and see what you think.